The GDPR is the biggest change to data privacy laws in the last 20 years and comes into effect on 25 May 2018.
The new regulation is focused on you the individual and how your data is used and processed. As a customer it is important that Colchester Web Design (CWD) let you know of the rights you have under the new regulation and these are described below. CWD is updating all data collection points so you will have a clear understanding of what information is needed and why, when sharing this with us.
Why we use your personal information
- Create your account, create and administer your website and create and maintain your email services
- Essential notices regarding your website & email services
- Communicate with you and provide information on CWD services when you request it.
- Meet CWD’s legal obligations
The legal basis for processing
Data protection law says that CWD are allowed to use personal information only if CWD have a proper reason to do so, the law says CWD must have one of the following reasons:
- To fulfil a contract CWD have with you.
- When it is our legal duty
- When you consent to it.
What personal information we use
Personal information collected by CWD includes details such as: Name, Business Name, Address, Telephone Number, Email Address and your comments regarding the service you require / are enquiring about.
How Colchester Web Design (CWD) collect data
As a CWD customer, CWD collect personal data about you in connection with our products and services in the following ways?
- From your application for a CWD product or service
- From your interactions with CWD whether over the phone, in person, in writing, or through our website or emails.
All Personal information held in relation to customers of CWD will never be used for marketing purposes by CWD or sold onto a third party.
Information intended for public access
As a website development company some information supplied by you for the purposes of your website or email service are intended by you for general public viewing. CWD will always obtain your prior consent before going live with your website. Once live any information included on your website will be available for general public viewing.
In addition to above when a customer requests the purchase of a web address their personal information: Name, Business Name, Business Address & type of business, Ltd company registration number (if applicable) will be required in order to process their request. This information will be held by the registrar for co.uk domains (Nominet) or in the instance of .com domains the registrar ICANN this information is held by the respective registrars and will be listed on the whois. It is important to note that this whois register is available for viewing by the general public.
Sharing personal information with third parties
CWD may share your personal information with CWD’s service providers and third parties who provide services on our behalf, including but not limited to:
- The registries responsible for domain name registration
- Third party responsible for managing website domains
- Third party responsible for our website and email hosting services.
- Fraud prevention and law enforcement agencies.
CWD take all reasonable precautions to keep your personal information secure, including safeguards against unauthorised access, use or data loss. This includes ensuring that any third parties who perform work on CWD’s behalf comply with security standards and part of their contractual obligations.
Information sent by email
You may choose to send personal information via email and using CWD’s online form.
Please note that your e-mail, like most, if not all, non-encrypted Internet e-mail communications, may be accessed and viewed by other Internet users, without your knowledge and permission, while in transit to us. For that reason, to protect your privacy, please do not use e-mail to communicate information to us that you consider confidential.
If you wish to send confidential information to CWD, please contact CWD who can provide you with an alternative more secure method of data communication.
How long will CWD store this information
- Personal information such as name, business name, address are recorded on invoices & receipts and will remain held securely by CWD as required by the Inland Revenue for a maximum of 7 years.
- The register of your domain (web address) and it’s listing on the whois register will remain for public view until such time as your ownership of the domain expires, this is typically 2 years from the register of your domain but may very in instances where you've requested longer periods.
- All other information held in relation to your custom with CWD will be deleted on the cancellation of your services with CWD*.
Your rights under data protection legislation
As well as our obligations and commitment, to respect the privacy of your information, you also have certain rights relating to the personal information CWD hold about you which are outlined below. You can exercise these rights at any time by contacting us using the contact details above.
You have rights to:
- Request access to the information CWD hold about you (Data Access Request)
- Object to processing (right to object)
- Request a copy of your data (Data Portability)
- Request that your data is deleted (Right to be forgotten)
- Amend or correct your information (Right to rectification)
- Restrict the processing of your information (Right to restrict)
- Rights in relation to consent (Right to withdraw)
When you withdraw consent, it will not affect the lawfulness of any past activities CWD have undertaken based on the previous consent.
Changes to our privacy notice
The content of this privacy notice will continue to be updated as and when is necessary. This privacy notice is dated 25th May 2018
Contact details for our Data Protection Officer
If you have concerns around the privacy of your personal data or require further information about how CWD manage your personal information, please get in touch with:
Data Protection Officer: Cheryl Smith, Colchester Web Design, 29 St Andrews Gardens, Colchester, Essex CO4 3EQ
By post: Colchester Web Design, 29 St Andrews Gardens, Colchester. CO4 3EQ
By phone: 07709973780
By email: Cheryl@colchesterwebdesign.com
Making a data protection complaint
If you have any concerns about the use of your personal data, or the way CWD handle your requests relating to your rights, you can raise a complaint directly with us using the contact details at the top of this document.
If you are not satisfied with the way CWD handle your complaint, you are entitled to raise a complaint directly with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office via the details available on their website: www.ico.org.uk